Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My First Quilt!

I know that I have taken a very long vacation from blogging (and/or any of my crafting for that matter), but I am back in business and so freaking excited about it, it's ridiculous!  Although, I have always considered myself a very artistic and crafty person (who thinks everything she does is sub par, LOL), I have never in my life used a sewing machine!  No home economics in school, no 4-h, and no one to teach me the trade.  [Note: My mother is a self-professed failure with anything you might have learned to do in home economics.]    And, when I make my jewelry or anything with fabric, I have always hand-sewn.

Well, at Thanksgiving, my aunt handed down to me this little beauty.


Believe me, I completely understand if you cannot help but drool.  She is beautiful!  Its a Singer Featherweight from approx. 1950 from what I can find online.  And, it works perfectly!  Although, it took me nearly 2 months to test drive it for fear of the damage I might inflict.

To add to my intense desire to sew on a machine for the first time, I had an equally intense desire to make a quilt.  Again, for fear of not being able to fumble my way through it, I bought some pre-packaged fat quarters (didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a failed attempt) and found an idea for a pattern online.  To make things just a wee bit scarier... I decided to attempt the initiative blind-faith.  I didn't use a pattern.  I just used the idea and modified it.  And, decided to go big.  I mean, why bother with small?  If you're gonna fail, fail big, right!?

So, here is a first glimpse at my little endeavor.


I'm just so stinking proud, I cannot contain it!  Remember what I told you... I have never sewed before... ever!  I know I'm being silly, forgive me.  ;)


I have completed this portion that is 18" wide by 87" in length.  I plan on framing the brick pattern 'strip' with a solid fabric, so that it lays off center.  I will have achieved a full-size quilt if I succeed!

The next steps terrify me, but I'm already addicted so I know I will keep plugging along and hope for the best!  Any words of encouragement? 

I will post my progress as it comes.  (And, probably, several more attempts in the future!)

No comments:

Post a Comment