Sunday, June 24, 2012

Baby Bedding


Baby bedding you just can't buy in stores!  After completing the Chain Linked quilt a couple of months ago, we searched far and wide for the perfect baby bedding to complete the full room and just couldn't find anything that fit the Mommy's taste just perfectly.  So, I decided to try it myself!  What do you think?



Some of the details of the design include:  

I used the gorgeous dandelion fabric (that backed the baby's room quilt) for the outside of the bumpers.


The offset hexagon pattern, from scraps used in the quilt.  This detail is on two of the six baby bumper panels.

The horizontal quilting on the Kona 'Bone' color that completed the inside of the baby bumpers. 

Detail

I wanted something a little less traditional for the piping, so I found some 1" wide flat element, with the piping in the upholstery section of the fabric store.  I sewed square pockets out of the brown organic polka dots fabric and slid the piping into the pockets, then attached the piping to the bumpers.  I especially liked this technique because it eliminated the need for sewing/tucking the piping into the sides of the bumpers.  The piping is only on the tops and bottoms of each bumper measured to the exact width of the final bumper size.

Piping

The ties are double-sided.  I cut very elongated triangular pieces of the organic dots fabric and the dandelion fabric.  Placed them right side matching and sewed three sides of the ties.  I then had to turn each inside out (a wooden spoon worked best) and iron them flat.  Love the way these turned out!

Ties

Mommy bought brown, white and cream fitted sheets to match the bedding and we made the bed skirt.  We chose the Kona bone, a green organic dots fabric, and some brown fabric.  I added a pleated detail in the center of the front and back of the bed skirt.

Bed Skirt

Since this was my test run at bedding, I failed to snap photos of my process... but if there are any elements that anyone would like to see a photo tutorial of, I would love to hear from you!  I would love to have an excuse to do this all over again!

Bedding retails for such insane amounts and doing it yourself just adds so much originality you could never buy in stores!  I love the final product we came up with and hope dearly that I get the opportunity to do this for many more babies-to-be (and mommies- and daddies-to-be)!



No comments:

Post a Comment